“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.” ― Author, John Green If you are a book lover, you may find it astounding that libraries throw away hundreds of books every year. Why? Sometimes library shelves run out of space, they receive new copies to replace worn copies or perhaps some books just aren’t being read. What a tragedy!
Creative Ways to Sell & Give Away Literature
- Sell books on Amazon
- Give away, sell or swap books away on Facebook
- Donate books to GoodWill
- Give magazines to retirement homes, assisted living facilities or doctors offices
- Donate magazines and catalogues to teachers for school projects
- Sell them back to a used book store like Half Price Books
- Start a Little Free Library in your neighborhood! It’s a “take a book, give a book” gathering place where neighbors share their favorite literature and stories. In its most basic form, a Little Free Library is a box full of books where anyone may stop by and pick up a book (or two) and bring back another book to share.
- If all else fails, simply place your books and magazines in the recycling bin, and not the trash! Be sure to check with your service provided before recycling hardcover books. Some require the spines of hardcover books be removed prior to recycling.